Sponsored by the Samuel Field YMCA, open to any Ryan student as well as to those in the community eight years and older. The program runs year round, with a summer camp during the summer months open to children six and older. During the school year the program runs from 2:30 PM – 10:00 PM, Monday through Friday and Saturdays from 8:00 am – 6:00 PM.
Beacon youth programs are designed to help participants acquire the skills and attitudes they need to graduate from high school, succeed in their chosen career, and give back to the community. Typical programs are intended to build:
- Academic Enhancement: Activities designed to help with school, including tutoring, homework help, reading clubs, and financial literacy
- Life Skills: Activities designed to increase personal responsibility, self-esteem, and confidence.
- Career Awareness/School to Work Transition: Activities designed to educate young people on career opportunities and assist with the transition to work or higher education. Activities include career exploration workshops, work readiness opportunities, help transitioning from middle school to high school and from high school to college/vocational programs.
- Civic Engagement/Community Building: Activities designed to strengthen leadership skills, community awareness, and civic responsibility.
- Recreation/Health & Fitness: Activities designed to promote healthy lifestyles such as cooking programs and organized sports.
- Culture/Art: Activities designed to provide students with opportunities to express themselves through music, dance, photography, and drama.