- 2018: Ranked #15 of all public middle schools in NYC for student performance.
- 2018: Ranked #26 (up from #45 in 2017) in NYS for student performance.
- NYC Quality Review Score: Well-Developed in 5 out of 5 categories
- Specialized HS Acceptances: Ranked #8 by the NY Times in 2018 article including #1 ranking for African American and Latino acceptances for top-ten middle schools (34%)
- NICHE Rankings:2018 NICHE Standout School (Grade “A”)
#15 NICHE Middle School in New York State
#55(of 1236) Best Public Middle School Teachers
We are a Chancellor’s Select School* in the following categories:
- Learning Partners Plus School: 1 of 11 schools selected citywide to showcase best practices.
- Common Core Lab School: 1 of 37 select schools in NYC
- Three Academies: Law and Justice, Media Arts, and Scientific Exploration
- Talent Program: Visual Arts, Dance, Chorus, Band
- Technology: 25 iPad Classroom Labs, 7 Laptop Labs, 7 Chromebook Labs, SMARTBoards in every classroom, Media/Library Center, MyOn Reading (online books accessible on any computer, tablet, or smartphone), Online textbooks
- Robotics Curriculum: Every 6th grade student takes Robotics twice a week, Currently Queens Borough Lego education Robotics Champions
- Home/School Communication: PupilPath (online and text msg.), Principal’s Weekly Phone Messages, Monthly Parent Calendars, Monthly Parent Newsletters, PTA Mtgs., SLT Mtgs.
- Saturday Academy: Dance, ESL Enrichment, Filmmaking
- Academic Teams: Math Team, Science Olympiad, Robotics Team, Chess Team, Terraphiles Environmental Team, Project Boost Team
- Sports Teams: Basketball (Boys and Girls), Volleyball, Track
- After-school Activities: Student Organization, Chess Club, Guitar Club, Theater Club, Robotics, Intramural Basketball, Intramural Soccer, Academic Intervention in ELA and Mathematics, Beacon Program, Homework Help Tutoring Program
“At George J. Ryan Middle School, we have a diverse community focusing on a student-centered environment, promoting mutual respect for all and maximizing students’ potential for high school readiness. We prepare all learners with differentiated curriculum that is relevant, meaningful, and actively engages students in our commitment to high standards. We educate the whole child with a strong focus on the five themes of citizenship – Honesty, Compassion, Respect, Responsibility, and Courage.”
We have an established Gifted Program called IGC. The program has been in existence for 8 years. Incoming applicants take a Gifted and Talented examcreated by Dr. Seokhee Cho from St. John’s University.
This assessment covers general academics, logical thinking, and intellectually gifted attributes. There is a writing component and an interview. Students are ranked for admission into our prestigious IGC class.The IGC curriculum is accelerated and was created by Ryan IGC teachers with assistance from professors at St. John’s University.
IGC students receive additional weighted average grades based on the accelerated coursework.Since its inception, 98% of our IGC students get into NYC Specialized High Schools. Last 5 years, all our IGC students (100%) were accepted into Specialized High Schools.
We have a partnership with St. John’s University:
That allows our IGC teachers access to best practices for teaching intellectually gifted children and several of our IGC teachers have received certification for Gifted and Talented instruction through that partnership.
Stay Up To Date
Your Child, Your School, Your PTA!
The PTA and Ryan 216 both have important news for parents each week. Please be reminded that monthly calendars and newsletters are sent home via email and as handouts to your child. Also, with our School Messenger System we send informative phone calls weekly reminding you about upcoming Ryan events and accomplishments.
Dr. Reginald Landeau Jr.
NYC Leadership Academy
It is my pleasure to welcome you to the George J. Ryan Middle School 216 Web Site. Whether you are a current student or parent, prospective student or parent, alumnus, or curious visitor, I welcome you to the Ryan experience! It is my hope that our web site will give you an idea of what it is like to be a part of the Ryan community.
At Ryan, everyone’s job is to learn!
A Message From Our Principal
I look forward to continuing the success we’ve had at Ryan Middle School. I am excited to lead our staff as we grow a learning community that improves instruction, innovates with technology, values critical thinking, and cares for the achievement of every student. We work to equip students with the skills they’ll need for high school, college, and career success.
Numerous stories of Ryan student successes find their roots in strong relationships among administrators, teachers, parents, students, and community members. As partners in this important work, we focus on nurturing our students best achievement each day. We are guilty of “high expectations”!
Great pride is taken in one’s responsibility at Ryan, whether it be in supervision, teaching, preparing meals, supporting students, maintaining the building, or managing the office. We couldn’t be in the top 1% of NYC middle schools for student progress without the dedication of all who enter our building daily. This school is successful because a staff of dedicated, aspiring men and women who have a common goal of doing what is best for students and continually seeking ways to achieve this goal.
I look forward to continuing the hard work it takes to lead such a tremendously successful school as we continue to soar to the top of NYC’s school rankings! We will continue the hard work it takes to deliver a tremendously successful school to our school community. We are poised and prepared to strive for the perpetual work ethic that made us a National Blue Ribbon Award school!
May 2019 calendar
May Newsletter 2019 revised